Tuesday 30 July 2013

Note to future self


Today I want to do something different, I want to set a note to my future self for when I'm 40. I have been toying with the idea of writing a letter to my 16 year old self, but I decided that I would not have changed anything I've done, bad or good, as its led me to the person I am today. So instead I want to speak to my future self. Something I can look back on and see if I have achieved what I wanted to.

Dear 40 year old me,

So where do I begin, with a life full of ups and downs and which generally has bad luck that gravitate towards it. I am having fun, I have great friends and have decided to take no more hassle from people. I only hope you have held onto this and taken it further. That as an older and more sensible 'me' that you have completely weeded out anything that has caused us stress in the past. 

Keep smiling, I am still silly all the time, playing with Nick and teasing him about getting older, I want you to be the same. Having fun, joking, laughing and that you have kept the overly sarcastic streak that we fall back on, but would not be the same without. Perhaps it would be nice if you could have leaned when to tone things back a bit more but all the same theres no loss if you haven't.

I want to know that I have tried hard in whatever I have done. That I did not sit back and hope that things would fall into my lap. I have expectations that you are not still just a team leader and whether you have gotten a different job or gone further in work, but that you have moved on to bigger things. I also have expectations that this blog will still be going in one way or another. That it too grows and gets better.

Most of all beyond any work and friend, I don't just want I need you to be just as understanding as you are now. That even if you have to have a good old moan to feel better that you can have your moan and move past the issue. I need you still treat everyone with respect and not to have become jaded or miserable. No matter what bad luck follows you, I need to be able to laugh it off and keep your chin up and have the optimism and hope that I have that will see us through.


From your hopeful 27 year old self.

No comments:

Post a Comment