Friday 5 July 2013

Weddings


Ive spent most of my last few weeks on the phone chasing up problems. But this week my time has been taken up by my new shiny S4 phone that I don't see how I lived without it. It's so fast and sleek, with more features than you can dream off and yet my only bugbear is the size. even if it was 2cm shorter and had 1cm off on the sides, it would make it a much easier phone to handle. However the size does have its benefits, such as watching trailers and not trying to touch very small letter when typing.

I am shortly going to be travelling up country to see my oldest friend walk down the aisle (this is where I can take advantage of my new phone and its 13mp camera with front and rear shots simultaneously) to her partner of 7 years. I also have another friend who is starting to plan her wedding.

It is almost 2 years since I got married to Nick and let me tell you that sometimes it seems as if it was only moments ago and other times it feels like it was centuries. So, with weddings on the brain, I thought I'd use this post to give some tips for anyone who is tying the knot in the near future

  • Get a journal/planner/stack of papers - whatever you prefer, but have one place that you write it all down, one place that you keep all your ideas, keep all the numbers, all the pictures, it makes it easier when you have to make final decisions.
  • Buy as you go - this is especially easy if your trying to plan a budget wedding - ebay is your friend - pick things up when you see them, don't leave any decorations until the last minute, you do not need the stress of finding one silver sash on the morning (yes, learn from mine - or rather my mother in laws mistakes).
  • Set your colour - once you've chosen your colour stick to it, but try to stick to colours within the season you are getting married as it makes it easier to find items of your choice. I went with a dark purple in September and for a whole year I struggled to find many items in my chosen colour, however as soon as the wedding was over, there was purple everywhere - sods law that is!
  • Double/triple/quadruple check - once you have confirmed things, always keep whatever communication was exchanged, and confirm everything 6 months before your day. Confirm again at around the 6 week mark and then re-confirm 1-2 weeks before. This will help you to relax as you KNOW it's done and you've given yourself some time to sort things out if there are issues.
  • Table planning is not so hard - It really isn't. Like everyone I had the family members that do not speak to this person or the friend that will walk out if on the same table as that person. Don't let them get you down. With enough tables you can keep everyone happy. Oh, and that odd person table where you end up putting the odd couple that don't know anyone else but you, yeah, well they end up being the table having the most fun. I swear, it's happened in every wedding I've been to and at my own, the 'odds' get on famously.
  • Be sensible - I could not have stayed in heels all day, its just not possible, so I got a pair of flats for the evening party. once the lights went down, no one was looking at me feet anymore (not that they really were anyway). Don't get me wrong I love shoes and would have if I could have, but being practical and comfortable (well as much as you can in wedding dress) is better than any accidents, or remembering your big day as a blur of pain.
  • Happy drink - As much as the majority of people like to have one to many at a wedding, if its your day I say only have a few. I think I had 2 alcoholic drinks the whole day, but my memory is clear for so many little details and conversation. My husband on the other had (aided by my one Irish Uncle and my other Uncle who was in the Navy) got plied with drinks and felt the need to drink each one in record time. He now remembers very little of the evening party and the day after is a hangover blur!
  • Dress is for you - with more choices of dresses out there than stars it seems an almost impossible task to choose what you want sometimes. Keep looking, but don't get too worried if nothing is perfect. you can always ask to add or remove details or just keep you eye out. you have to wear it all day and be photographed more in one day than the rest of you life combined, its important that you take the time to be comfortable with your choice.
  • Food for all - If your not lucky enough to have a brother-in-law who is a chef and does your food as a wedding gift, then you will unfortunately have to pay for your meal or for a buffet, look around and see if you can bring anything yourself. One of the things that shocked me when looking at venues was finger food like cheese and pineapple stick and 4x sandwiches were coming up at £20 per head, stupid price when I can buy the stuff from Tesco and do it all for under £100 for about 90 people. But regardless of me, it's up to you, if you want a 5 course dinner supreme then look to see who will accommodate you. some places will offer slightly cheaper rates for more guests. It pays to look.
  •  Ask for help - I constantly had my family and friends on the look out for purple centre pieces or accessories to add to the day, there's no need to struggle with it all on your own. If nothing else your future husband should put his two pence in at some point - well we have to let them think they have some control!
  • DJ preview - If you are having a Disco, try and see what the DJ is like beforehand, request the songs that you want a month before, don't get stuck with a dud. Mine wasn't bad, but as a family friend I had a discount so I chose him for his cheapness. Don't get stuck with someone who plays puppy love or the birdie song!
  • Keep Calm - At the end of the day as long as you have planned and confirmed everything, it will all be fine. The day before the wedding i was running round like a bridezilla crazy person making sure it was all done, but on the day I sat back and told everyone else that if there were any problems they would have to deal with it as it's now my time to shine.
Nothing that is unexpected but I hope these little tips help anyone who is getting married or is thinking of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment