Tuesday 23 April 2013

Bare

Being comfortable in you own skin is something that is not always as simple as it sounds. Insecurities about a certain aspect, spots/blemishes or perhaps a scar that is the bane of you life, all make us unhappy about our looks. I have plenty of things that I would love to change, my nose is too round, my cheeks are too flat and my eyelashes are actually 5x longer than they look, its just the tips are clear and I need mascara to show them. I also have two scars on my face one under my eyebrow and one on my upper lip.

All of my dislikes can easily be hidden by make up, by contouring and concealing. I can't say I have bad skin or lots of spots, like a lot of people I do have some breakouts and when I get a bad spot it really can be the little zit that wouldn't go away. Finding things that you don't like or would change about yourself is a lot easier than finding things you like. I believe that we are all far too negative and being complimentary or positive is more difficult as 90% of what we see/read is negative and harsh.

Technically, even if you choose 5 things you like about yourself your letting up that there are negatives, your just not saying them, but it's a habit we should try and get out of. If I have to choose 5 things I like about my face these are them:
  1. My Eyebrows are pretty natural and take very little upkeep or plucking
  2. My skin is pretty clear and soft
  3. My lips are big and a nice shape
  4. My eyes (thought you can't really tell the colour) are very pretty and different depending on the light
  5. My chin is small and well proportioned 
I am far from a beautiful and natural beauty and I'm not vain, but I have my good points and bad points like everyone. Finding 5 things was hard but I feel better for taking a long hard look at myself and picking out the good instead of the bad. It's not about changing how you feel overnight, it's about accepting that there are some parts of us that are unlikely to change and though we can cover them up, they are always under the surface and that won't change.

Posting pictures that are bare, that show the real you is never easy, I was scared to show myself without even the basics. I can go to work without make up, but I can not have a picture taken without me looking my best. My personal fears and niggles are my own making, and only I can help myself to change.

So... I ask anyone who reads this to pick up the courage and show that we are all beautiful, that we all have amazing features, that insecurities will not get the better of us, that negativity can be diffused and that we are strong and proud to be who we are, that flaws will not become us!

2 comments:

  1. Great post Christina, good on you! You look beautiful with no make-up, a real natural beauty x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I don't feel it but as I said taking a compliment is hard! xxx

      Delete